A Transparent Future

When I interviewed for a faculty job at North Carolina State University, a professor asked me: “What is an unsolvable problem in science that you would like to solve?” That is the type question one can never prepare for! I have thought at length about this question, and I always come back to this answer: transparent, complete, and available flow of information among all sectors of society, including scientists, policy-makers, students, and the public.

Definitions of transparent in Merriam Webster include: “readily understood” and “characterized by visibility or accessibility of information.” Abaco Scientist was designed with these goals in mind ­— providing visible, accessible, scientific information relevant to stakeholders on Abaco, in The Bahamas, and beyond. I hope the site made some steps toward that goal.

I am moving to different phases of my academic career, specifically focusing on scientific editing. In doing so, it has become difficult for me to keep the website updated. I will make some posts from time to time, as may others, but it will not be actively maintained (keeping such a site current is more work than I ever thought it would be).  

I can always be contacted with questions (laymancraig50@gmail.com), and I am happy to point you in the right direction for current research contacts in The Bahamas. Here are some links and other things to keep in mind:

Friends of the Environment remains active on Abaco (although still recovering from Hurricane Dorian; let us never forget what Abaco has gone through).

The Bahamas National Trust continues to expand the national park system and manage other resources.

The Bahamas Reef Environmental Education Foundation is a leader in community outreach and education.

The Cape Eleuthera Institute continues to spearhead some of the most exciting current scientific research.

Although not recently updated, this site supports a list of research programs in The Bahamas and an article database available to the public.

I have enjoyed sharing with you. Keep the information flowing, always collectively striving for that ideal of absolute transparency.

By | 2019-11-06T12:39:55-05:00 November 6th, 2019|Categories: Uncategorized|0 Comments

About the Author:

Craig Layman
My lab’s interdisciplinary pursuits provide for a multi-faceted understanding of environmental change in the coastal realm. We are ecologists, asking questions that span population, community, ecosystem and evolutionary sub-disciplines. We often use a food web based perspective, exploring top-down (e.g., predation) and bottom-up (e.g., nutrient excretion) mechanisms by which animals affect ecosystem processes. All of our efforts are framed within a broader outreach framework, directly integrating science and education, using approaches such as this website.

Leave A Comment