Restoring coral in Southern Japan

I came across this amazing photo recently, demonstrating some exciting and positive outcomes from coral restoration efforts by researchers at Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology in Southern Japan.

By | 2015-11-22T13:49:18-05:00 November 22nd, 2015|Categories: Coral, Restoration, Uncategorized|2 Comments

About the Author:

Jacob Allgeier
I am an ecologist with broad interests in how human-induced changes alter how ecosystems function and the services that they provide. A central focus of my research is understanding how changes in biodiversity affect the flow of nutrients and energy in ecosystems. Most of this research takes place in tropical coastal ecosystems such as mangroves, seagrass beds, and coral reefs. I am an assistant professor at the University of Michigan, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.

2 Comments

1. Avatar
    Rob Koury November 22, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Jake-
    Can you provide more references for how this coral re-growth project is set up.
    What do they use for bases for the new corals?
    How are they embedded in the sea floor?
    Are the corals in the bases before embedding or added after?
    How long to get to the status in the photos?
    Etc.
    Best,
    Rob
    __________________________________

2. Jacob Allgeier
    Jacob Allgeier December 3, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Hey Rob – Sorry for the delayed reply. Honestly I can’t. I have looked and looked and even tried contacting some folks. I haven’t seen anything like this myself either so I don’t know personally. If I find out more (which I am still searching), I will do another post. Sorry for the scant info. Jake

Leave A Comment