Snapshots of an inoculation experiment

We posted last week about Pestalotiopsis and the role it may play in generating the lesions on Red Mangrove leaves we’ve documented. Here are some photos that show part of the process involved in determining if Pestalotiopsis is the causal agent of the lesions. In short, leaves from Red Mangroves showing no symptoms of lesions were plucked from the seedlings and subsequently inoculated with conidia (asexual spores) of Pestalotiopsis. The inoculated leaves have been incubating for about 7 days so our first trial inoculation experiment is almost complete! We will post back with more updates as they become available.

By | 2016-07-24T17:17:54-05:00 October 9th, 2015|Categories: Mangroves and Creeks, The Marls|2 Comments

About the Author:

Ryann Rossi
My general research interests lie in the ecology of marine coastal ecosystems. I am most interested in the role plant diseases have in shaping the ecology of coastal and estuarine environments. I am currently studying the role of a plant pathogen in a die-off of Red Mangroves in The Bahamas. Follow Ryann Rossi

2 Comments

1. Avatar
    Abarelix June 8, 2016 at 4:52 am

I was wondering whether such experiment is difficult to conduct. Significant differences in DON levels among the barley genotypes (P < 0.0001) were observed for only one point-inoculation experiment?

2. Ryann Rossi
    Ryann Rossi June 9, 2016 at 9:07 am

The basis of this experiment is Koch’s Postulates. I am not interested in mycotoxins such as DON for this experiment, so, my design is very simple and follows Koch’s Postulates. I am not an expert on mycotoxins, so I would consult the literature more.

Best,
    Ryann

Leave A Comment