Other Characteristics to Look for on Mangrove Leaves

Although the large brown/black lesions we’ve posted about before are signs of disease, there are other symptoms you can look for on leaves as you complete surveys.

Keep in mind that the lesions we describe may not always be large. Many of the leaves we have found have had fairly small lesions.

Slide1

It will also be useful to examine the underside of leaves as you look for disease symptoms. We have found many leaves with minuscule black dots on the underside. Under further microscopic examination, it appears these tiny dots may be peritheica (a structure that contains asci and ascospores of fungi in the phylum Ascomycota).

Slide3

Using a microscope, we found several leaves with actual spores present on the leaf- very critical for identifying fungi! We hope to be much closer to figuring out what fungi is causing these lesions by summers end! Please keep doing surveys throughout the summer as that will only help us determine the role fungi may play in mangrove die-off. Stay tuned for updates!

By | 2017-12-01T14:02:13+00:00 June 13th, 2015|Categories: citizen science, Mangroves and Creeks|7 Comments

About the Author:

Ryann Rossi
My general research interests lie in the ecology of marine coastal ecosystems. I am most interested in the role plant diseases have in shaping the ecology of coastal and estuarine environments. I am currently studying the role of a plant pathogen in a die-off of Red Mangroves in The Bahamas. Follow Ryann Rossi

7 Comments

1. Oliver Tandayu April 28, 2016 at 6:35 am

Good afternoon, im oliver and my Thesis is Mangrove Leaf disease detection using Image Processing. Can you help to this thesis? I need some data about the diseases of Mangroves.

2. Ryann Rossi
    Ryann Rossi April 29, 2016 at 11:14 am

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for reading. I am happy to email about your thesis to see if I can be of any help. You can email me directly at rerossi@ncsu.edu.

3. Din January 16, 2017 at 6:20 am

Hello, it is DIn who is growing mangrove in Korea. My mangrove has contracted this disease. I am curious about how to treatment and prevent it. Please thank you for your mail. kmh010@naver.com

4. Ryann Rossi
    Ryann Rossi February 7, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Hi Din,

Unfortunately treatment for mangrove diseases have not been well studied. I would suggest investigating treatment methods used on ornamental plants as a place to start. Just remember that mangroves are in water so spraying chemicals could have detrimental effects on other organisms! As far as prevention, plant disease often takes hold when the plant is under stress from something else. In mangroves a stress like very high soil salinity could be this stress. I would advise you to ensure that your mangroves are not being stressed by other factors such as high salinity.

I hope that helps,
    Ryann

5. Kylie Harris May 30, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Hi there,

My name is Kylie Harris and I’m interested in doing some undergraduate research on mangrove diseases in northern Florida. I’d love to discuss your research and some ideas I have for experiments. My email is harriskylie4@gmail.com

Thanks so much

6. annie talley June 25, 2018 at 8:54 pm

These are not perithecia. These are part of the red mangrove leaf structure called cork warts. Function is air flow.

7. annie talley June 25, 2018 at 8:59 pm

That is a picture of cork warts on the red mangrove leaf. Not perithecia

Leave A Comment