Let’s Think Positive! Potential Consumer-Mediated Feedback from Coral Restoration

Today was the ZGSA Symposium at NC State North Carolina and we had some fabulous talks and posters from the Zoology and Entomology graduate students. Here is a poster of a project I will be doing along the eastern shore of Abaco starting this May. Here I will use artificial reef to ask if branched coral structure promotes large fish assemblages which in turn, produce ideal conditions for coral growth. Based on previous research from the Layman lab and others, healthy coral reef fish assemblages may produce the right nutrients for corals (yes, fish pee is always on our minds) and reduce their competitors by grazing macro-algae. I will continue to use the PVC structures to imitate branched coral and in addition, I will deploy 3 coral propagules (coral fragments found locally on the sea bottom naturally detatched from its main coralhead) on each reef to measure coral health overtime. More to come soon!

By | 2015-04-13T12:15:58-05:00 April 10th, 2015|Categories: Artificial Reefs, Coral, Fish, Restoration|0 Comments

About the Author:

Enie Hensel
Broadly my interests lie in exploring the intertwining interactions between top-down and bottom-up mechanisms that have been anthropogenically impacted in coastal ecosystems. Currently, I am investigating how structure complexity and the presence of top predators affect patch reef fish communities in Abaco, The Bahamas.

Leave A Comment