Introduced Corn Snakes on Abaco and Elsewhere in the Caribbean Region

Adult corn snake found on Abaco in December 2013.  Map shows the current extent of introduced populations of corn snakes in the region.

Adult corn snake found on Abaco in December 2013. Map shows the current extent of introduced populations of corn snakes in the region.

A while back I posted (link to past post) on the discovery of a hatchling corn snake (Pantherophis guttata) on Abaco.  A few weeks later I found another one, this time an adult.  These observations were recently published in the online journal of the International Reptile Conservation Federation (IRCF).  In addition to documenting their establishment on Abaco, I did a little literature review to show their introduced distribution on other Bahamian Islands as well as the greater Caribbean.

For more details, see the paper here.  However, the gist of the story is that corn snakes are rapidly spreading through the islands of the Caribbean and The Bahamas.  While their effects on native fauna are unknown, conservation organizations should be aware of their potential to become a new invasive predator.

I’ll also plug IRCFs open access journal.  It’s got plenty of well-illustrated articles about reptile and amphibian natural history in The Bahamas and elsewhere.  It’s worth browsing through past issues.

By | 2017-12-01T14:04:06+00:00 April 20th, 2013|Categories: herpetology, Invasive Species|2 Comments

About the Author:

2 Comments

1. Snake facts January 28, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Great post i find it very informative

2. Crocodiles Facts February 20, 2015 at 7:46 pm

This is my first comment and i just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I really enjoy reading your blog posts.

Leave A Comment