Adult corn snake found on Abaco in December 2013.  Map shows the current extent of introduced populations of corn snakes in the region.

Adult corn snake found on Abaco in December 2013. Map shows the current extent of introduced populations of corn snakes in the region.

A while back I posted (link to past post) on the discovery of a hatchling corn snake (Pantherophis guttata) on Abaco.  A few weeks later I found another one, this time an adult.  These observations were recently published in the online journal of the International Reptile Conservation Federation (IRCF).  In addition to documenting their establishment on Abaco, I did a little literature review to show their introduced distribution on other Bahamian Islands as well as the greater Caribbean.

For more details, see the paper here.  However, the gist of the story is that corn snakes are rapidly spreading through the islands of the Caribbean and The Bahamas.  While their effects on native fauna are unknown, conservation organizations should be aware of their potential to become a new invasive predator.

I’ll also plug IRCFs open access journal.  It’s got plenty of well-illustrated articles about reptile and amphibian natural history in The Bahamas and elsewhere.  It’s worth browsing through past issues.

Be Sociable, Share!