Exuma Sustainable Tourism Plan

Exuma Park 013

Here is draft report outlining a sustainable tourism plan for The Bahamas.
I havent had a chance to look at it yet.  But I am sure feedback would be
appreciated – post in the comments.

About the Author:

Craig Layman
My lab’s interdisciplinary pursuits provide for a multi-faceted understanding of environmental change in the coastal realm. We are ecologists, asking questions that span population, community, ecosystem and evolutionary sub-disciplines. We often use a food web based perspective, exploring top-down (e.g., predation) and bottom-up (e.g., nutrient excretion) mechanisms by which animals affect ecosystem processes. All of our efforts are framed within a broader outreach framework, directly integrating science and education, using approaches such as this website.

2 Comments

1. Avatar
    Ryan Knowles April 24, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I am not an expert in many of the areas addressed, so I will just provide a couple of general comments, rather than respond to any of the specifics as requested by the feedback form.

1) The acceptable range model proposed on page 11 does not apply to every category. A good example is section 3.1.5. Are we to be concerned about moving too fast if more than 80% of visitors are satisfied with their stay?

2) Many of the acceptable ranges seem arbitrary. An appendix with an explanation of the acceptable ranges would be helpful. For example, why is the proportion of people staying on Staniel Cay within the acceptable range (3.1.2.A) but we want to increase the proportion of people staying on Black Point by 5 to 6 times (3.1.2.Q)?

3) There needs to be a prioritisation structure. To think that all of these categories will be monitored and assessed on a regular basis is optimistic, to put it nicely. It may be helpful to have an estimate of the cost of obtaining each type of data. Perhaps a scoring system can be devised for each category based on the level of shortfall, the importance of the category and the cost of improving the situation. This would help decision-makers to make more informed choices without getting bogged down in the details.

Now that I have given it this much thought, I will probably provide feedback to BNT independently. Although, it wouldn’t hurt to repeat any suggestions that you think are valid.

2. laymanc
    laymanc April 25, 2013 at 11:41 am

Thanks Ryan. I would definitely share these with BNT. The more engaged citizens, the better.

Leave A Comment