(Sort of) A Bahama Parrot Study

View from my desk in Little Harbour.

It isnt really much of a study, but the only “science” I have been able to do
over the last week with the continued turbidity of  nearshore waters.

Not much to do on our artificial reefs when you can’t see them.

The Bahama parrot (more information here and here) is one of the iconic Bahamas animals, and the main factor behind the establishment of the Abaco National Park in southern Abaco.  But my study has been conducted instead from my desk in Little Harbour.  My main finding is simple: the range of the parrot has clearly expanded; it has now been a full calendar in which parrots have been in the area.  Just a few days ago two dozen were squawking around the harbour.  The key will be whether they begin nesting here as well – I havent heard reports of that yet.  But if they do, the expanding nesting range will substantially increase long term viability of the parrot on Abaco.  That ends my first ever Bahama parrot study (I really need more time in the water when I come back).

UPDATE: Over at Rolling Harbour on nesting behavior.  Still no definitive word on expansion of the breeding range or not.

By | 2017-12-01T14:04:33-04:00 November 26th, 2012|Categories: Birds|0 Comments

About the Author:

Craig Layman
My lab’s interdisciplinary pursuits provide for a multi-faceted understanding of environmental change in the coastal realm. We are ecologists, asking questions that span population, community, ecosystem and evolutionary sub-disciplines. We often use a food web based perspective, exploring top-down (e.g., predation) and bottom-up (e.g., nutrient excretion) mechanisms by which animals affect ecosystem processes. All of our efforts are framed within a broader outreach framework, directly integrating science and education, using approaches such as this website.

Leave A Comment